On Friday, April 27, we held our event, Time for Art: A Celebration of Volunteers, at the Cedar Rapids Marriott.
The evening featured a unique silent art auction and award ceremony that celebrated volunteering in our community. The event also featured door prizes, appetizers, cash bar, and a caricature artist, so even those who didn’t win a piece could go home with their own custom art!
Our two leadership society representatives, Young Leaders Society chair Whitney Pino and William B. Quarton Society chair Shilo Knapp, announced volunteer awards while Cedar Rapids Mayor Brad Hart, repeat Time for Art participant Stephanie Van Hemert, and artist Kory Bassett spoke about volunteerism.
Event attendees helped us recognize local volunteers during our annual volunteer award ceremony. Each winner received $500 to donate to a nonprofit of their choice. Congratulations to the following winners:
- Youth Volunteer Award: Elizabeth Uthoff, Prairie High School and various nonprofits
- Young Professional Volunteer Award: Sonya LaGrange, Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity
- Adult Volunteer Award: Sandy Steckler, Cedar Rapids Public Library
- Senior Volunteer Award: Cindy Sale, Gems of Hope
- Business Volunteer Award: Thompson & Co., Tanager Place
- Group Volunteer Award: American Cancer Society Road To Recovery, American Cancer Society
During the silent art auction, participants bid volunteer hours instead of dollars. Together, we raised 5,220 pledged volunteer hours worth $128,881.80 combined! That’s a Time for Art record, and it’s all thanks to those of you who attended and bid your time to help our community.
A record 50 local artists donated more than 80 pieces of art—everything from jewelry and paintings to woodwork and photography—to make this event a success. To recognize their generosity, we handed out three artist awards:
- Artists’ Choice Award: Sam Dewall
- New Artist Award: Tim Gallenbeck
- Community Impact Award: Willie Buckets
“I love this event and will make it a point to be there every year!”
—Time for Art attendee