What is Day of Caring?
Day of Caring is one of the largest organized volunteer events in Cedar Rapids. Local businesses encourage their employees to volunteer at nonprofit agencies and schools throughout the community. Volunteer teams of all sizes tackle meaningful projects to address community and agency needs.
Participating in Day of Caring is a great way for local businesses to learn more about your organization and to get your long list of volunteer projects completed.
Day of Caring takes place each May. We invite nonprofit organizations to attend an information session that typically takes place in February.
Learn more about participating and submitting projects for Day of Caring:
Manager, Volunteer Engagement
319 398-5372 ext. 822
Day of Caring Impact 2017
- Repainted 60 benches, cleaned three alleys, removed graffiti along the train tracks and on three different streets, and cleaned trash from 15 square blocks of Downtown Cedar Rapids.
- Prepared 300 literacy kits that the organization will distribute to low-income kids.
- Prepared 120 hygiene kits for women and families in local shelters.
- Distributed 1,732 pounds of food through mobile food pantries in three different neighborhoods.
- Delivered a skit to more than 2,700 kids, creating awareness of summer reading program through the Cedar Rapids Public Library.
- Cleaned up several nature trails by alleviating unsightly trash and invasive plants that kill wildflowers and prairie grass.
- Completed yard work to help low-income, older adults or individuals with disabilities remain in their homes and live independently.
- Prepared 712 craft kits for summer reading program.
- Planted and prepared gardens to feed low-income families.
- Built three accessibility ramps for seniors
- Collected 3,500 books that will be distributed to families
To learn more about Day of Caring 2017, check out our blog post!