Want to serve on a board but aren’t sure of the responsibilities or skills you need?
Join United Way Young Leaders Society Board Orientation & Leadership Development (BOLD) to learn more about board service, receive training, and find organizations with board or committee opportunities that match your skills and passions.
Congratulations to our 2018-2019 class!
- Brittany Appleton, Waypoint
- Tyler Bruzek, World Class Industries
- Elizabeth Cepeda, Rockwell Collins
- Leah Coffman, US Bank
- Isaiah Corbin, Mount Mercy University
- Caleb Dutzer, Advancement Resources
- Emily Ehrhardt, Coe College
- Julie Erickson, The Crisis Center
- Meryn Fluker, Transamerica
- Paul Gaylord, FusionFarm
- Korey Grow, Securian Advisors
- Michelle Gruis, Holmes Murphy
- Whitney Kraus, UFG
- Beverly Maas, Operation: New View
- George Mahoney, Rockwell Collins
- Jessica Mattes, University of Iowa
- Jenny Mertes, Van Meter
- Kristin Miller, BMO
- Bobbi O’Connell, Rockwell Collins
- Jessica Pfeiffer, Aging Services
- Kayla Phelan, Phelans Interiors
- Julie Sigwarth, Grant Wood AEA
- Robert Teller, Rockwell Collins
- Kyle Walker, UnityPoint Health
- Kate Weber, Van Meter
- Taylor Westaby, Garnett Place Retirement Community
- Emily Wright, Transamerica
2018 BOLD series costs $100 and must be paid in full by September 28, 2018. There will be no refunds of the program expense. Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the training sessions.
To graduate, participants are required to attend at least five of the six regular sessions. Program dates are listed on this page.
See what volunteer opportunities exist in our community!
2018-2019 Program Curriculum
Each session will occur at United Way of East Central Iowa. They will be from 7:30 – 9 a.m.
Session 1: October 23, 2018
Board Basics & Working with the NPO Management Team
Session 2: November 27, 2018
Governance & Strategic Planning
Session 3: December 18, 2018
Advocacy & Public Engagement
Session 4: January 22, 2018
Fundraising & Resource Development
Session 5: February 26, 2018
Engaging a Diverse Community & Civic Engagement
Session 6: March 26, 2018
Financial Management & Fiduciary Responsibility
Got on Board: April 2018
Graduation and board or committee pairing