Three Solutions Teams help guide United Way of East Central Iowa’s funding priorities. Each Solutions Team is a group of volunteers based on their professional expertise, diverse background, and regional representation. The teams train in one of three focus areas: Education (Early Childhood and Youth), Financial Stability (Income), or Health (Independence) — with an overview of research and best practices, agency performance, ongoing community initiatives and collaborations.
Along with United Way staff, the Solution Teams review results twice annually. Each focus area has a business plan and a report card to assess our annual progress on key strategies and our overall community goals.
The Solutions Teams’ goal is to fund the most effective strategies to achieve the three community goals. They conduct an intensive and competitive review process every three years.
The teams give priority to strategies that:
- Align with community goals
- Show a strong connection between community need and proposed strategies
- Demonstrate performance in improving clients’ well-being
- Can measure their performance
- Integrate promising and best practices and consider leveraging resources and collaborative opportunities
- Demonstrate a probability of success
- Provide reasonable and appropriate costs for the activities required