During the holiday season, United Way receives many calls from people interested in helping those who struggle to make ends meet. We put together our annual Holiday Volunteer Guide to connect volunteers to organizations with the greatest need.
Many local nonprofits have special programs or services for individuals and families during the holidays. From toy and food drives to adopting a family, there are many ways to give back to people in need in our community. Fill out the form on our website to view our 2017 Holiday Volunteer Guide. You’ll have a direct link to all of the seasonal volunteer opportunities and a flyer you can share with your coworkers, family, and friends to spread the word.
If you haven’t volunteered during the holiday season before or would like to know more about how your group can give back this year, read the following tips for holiday volunteering. Thank you for giving your time, talent, and treasure to help others!
- Plan ahead since many agencies need assistance prior to the holidays, not the day of.
- Find the categories that most interest you.
- Learn more about the programs each nonprofit provides to determine if they align with your interests and passions.
- Form a group of friends or coworkers to adopt a family or individual.
- Contact an organization that needs clothing, food, or toys to get a specific list of their needs. Start a collection drive at your place of business.
- Take up a collection to purchase much-needed gift certificates for local nonprofits’ clients.
- Sign up your family to help with a holiday party or event.
For more information on holiday volunteering, please contact our Volunteer Engagement team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. And remember, you can always find opportunities that match your skills, interests, and schedule all year round at uweci.org/volunteernow.